.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

My Poker Mission Statement (Yes I still play poker)


I stated in a previous post that I have not been playing much poker lately. The reason being, I am not a winning poker player. I know a lot of people will post about all their big scores, and I've had one or two, but overall I am in the majority of people that play online poker and come out losing in the end. I took a long look at my play and realized that my actual poker skills aren't necessarily the problem. Not that I'm a great player, but I can hold my own. My biggest problem has been game selection. For example, I would deposit fifty bucks into Pokerstars, than throw myself into a $11 rebuy tournament, or a $20 180 person sit and go, and I'd piss it away in a day or two. I'd play these games because I am trying to recreate the big score I hit about a year ago in a $30 rebuy on Paradise. After winning $4000 playing for anything less, in my mind, seemed senseless. Just so you know I am not depositing my car payment into my bankroll. I have a decent job, and $50 a week doesn't really hurt me. But it does start to add up. I took the time away from poker to get refocused. I wanted to figure out what I want out of playing poker and, is it attainable? After some reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I play because:

A. I love the game.
B. I like the social interactions.
C. Feeds my competitive spirit.
D. Provides me with a secondary income

So after reading some books and hitting some poker forums, I have become comfortable with the small victories that will come with beating that games that I can play with my bankroll. I have been back playing for a week and I have already doubled my bankroll, just by playing $6 turbo sit and goes at Stars. Poker has become more fun in the last week than it has been in the year and a half prior. I think I have finally seen the big picture, and hope to be a "winning player".

And by the way, the million dollar tourney I got into through the satellite didn't turn out so good. I went out when I picked up a bluff all in with 9-9 with a J high board. The player turned over k-8 os. K hit the turn. Back to the grind I go!

I'm going to Vegas for the first time for a buddy's bachelor party in 2 weeks. I'm not planning to play much poker, but I will sit down during one of my sober moments (hopefully) at a card table just to say that I did. Most of my time will likely be spent at the sports book betting on March Madness. I'll have a report on that, and I also have to put down a story about the Wing Bowl. I'm sure the anticipation is killing you. :)

Texas Holdem Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 7330476

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?